The safest ways to supplement calcium for infants
A calcium deficiency can cause your baby to develop rickets, deformed bones or be vulnerable. Therefore, parents need to have the knowledge to safely and effectively supplement calcium for babies.
Calcium plays an important role in a child's development. This substance contributes to the structure of bones and teeth of the baby's body. Parents can refer to a few methods below to help children get enough calcium properly.
Signs of infant's calcium deficiency
If your child has some of the following symptoms, he or she may be calcium deficient:
- Or fussing, sleeping often startled or not sleeping well. Even babies are crying, cramping, red or purple face and crying does not stop.
- Babies twist, have milk leaked.
- Sweating more, especially when sleeping.
- Baby with hair loss.
- Laryngospasm, shortness of breath, hiccups, milk shakes ... If severe, breathing can stop, increase heart rate and heart failure.
- If the infant is severely deficient in calcium, it will cause slowness of fontanel, flattened head, thick chest, legs shaped like bowls or bowls, teething slowly ....
When it is found that children are deficient in calcium, it is best to consult with a pediatrician and nutritionist. Doctors and experts will base on the needs of calcium at the age of the baby to give the appropriate instructions.
When calcium deficiency, children may have hair loss towel.
Cause children lack calcium
Newborn babies are often very vulnerable to calcium deficiency. There are several possible causes of calcium deficiency in children as follows:
- During birth, the child suffocates or lacks oxygen.
- Parents do not let their children sunbathe or sunbathe the wrong way.
- During pregnancy, the mother is pregnant with gestational poisoning or gestational diabetes.
- Mother diet, diet daily lack calcium.
The dosage of calcium required for infants
Excess calcium intake can lead to a number of negative outcomes such as constipation, bone pain, and kidney calcification. Therefore, parents need to know the calcium needed for infants:
- For babies 0-6 months: 300mg / day
- With babies 6-12 months: 400mg / day
Ways of calcium supplementation for babies
1. Calcium supplementation for newborns through breast milk
Nutrition experts all recommend that mothers should breastfeed for the first 6 months to give the child the necessary amount of calcium for the body. In case the mother does not have enough conditions to breastfeed, she can let the child drink suitable formula rich in calcium.
Mothers should increase breastfeeding to supplement calcium.
2. Add vitamin D by sunbathing
To help children absorb calcium best, supplementing with vitamin D is one of the effective methods. To enhance vitamin D for babies, mothers should sunbath them properly and reasonably. The best time to sunbathe is from 6 to 8 am because infrared and ultraviolet rays at this time are weak. When sunbathing, the mother should also pay attention to shielding the baby, avoiding the baby's skin is hurt.
3. Calcium supplementation for infants with food
For children who have started weaning period (many 5-month-old babies have been weaned), mothers can supplement calcium for children through calcium-rich foods such as:
- Shrimp, crab, fish
- Vegetables shrinkage
- Jute vegetables
Note: I need to monitor if your child is allergic to any food to avoid feeding.
Children should eat more foods rich in calcium.
4. Calcium supplementation for newborns by medicine
In the case of children with severe calcium deficiency, they will have to take drugs with high calcium content. However, the use of drugs for children requires a doctor's appointment. Parents absolutely must not arbitrarily buy medicine for children.
- 4 food should not be fed to children under 1 year of age, otherwise it will be very dangerous
- Appropriate dosage and supplementation of vitamin D for newborns
- 9 old child care concepts, parents think good but doctor shakes his head
- If parents do not immediately dismiss this misconception, their teeth will soon collapse
- Is it okay for infants with many hiccups and how to treat hiccups quickly and effectively?
VACXIN VIETNAM JOINT STOCK COMPANY
Certificate of Business Registration No. 0107631488 by the Department of Planning and Investment City. Hanoi issued on 11/11/2016
Address: 180 Truong Chinh, Khuong Thuong Ward, Dong Da District, City. Hanoi
Hotline: 028 7300 6595
Working time: From Monday to Sunday
From 7:30 - 17:00 (no lunch break)
117-119 Ly Chinh Thang, Ward 7, District 3, City. Ho Chi Minh